Barbecue Chicken Baked Sweet Potatoes
When there’s nothing to eat and you don’t want to spend a lot of time or energy cooking, a stuffed baked potato is an easy, filling, and affordable option that will please the whole family. Just bake (or microwave) a potato and fill it with your favorite healthy toppings (like steamed veggies, salsa, and plain Greek yogurt). The flavor options are endless!
The five ingredients in this recipe pack a bold punch: baked sweet potatoes are stuffed with shredded chicken that’s drenched in smoky barbecue sauce then topped with piquant pickled onions (or chopped red onions) and fresh parsley or cilantro. It’s comfort food at its best.
If you already have baked sweet potatoes and leftover chicken ready, you can put this dinner together in less than 10 minutes. For a complete meal, serve each baked sweet potato with a green salad or vegetables like broccoli, asparagus or Brussels sprouts that can be roasted on the same baking sheet as the potatoes or steamed in a separate pot.
- 2 small sweet potatoes, washed, pierced several times with a fork
- 1½ cups shredded cooked chicken breast, boneless, skinless, warm
- ¼ cup barbecue sauce, reduced-sugar, warm
- ¼ cup Quick Pickled Red Onions (or 2 Tbsp. chopped red onions) (optional)
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped fresh parsley (or cilantro) (for garnish; optional)
Here are your instructions:
Preheat oven to 400° F.
Place sweet potatoes on a baking sheet. Pierce each sweet potato 3 to 4 times with a fork. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until tender.
While sweet potato is baking, combine chicken and barbecue sauce in a small bowl; mix well. Set aside.
Cut sweet potatoes in half lengthwise.
Top sweet potatoes evenly Quick Pickled Red Onions and chicken mixture. Sprinkle evenly with parsley; serve immediately.
- Look for barbecue sauce that has an ingredient list that does not contain artificial sweeteners, additives, or preservatives. There are many brands on the market that are sweetened with small amounts of honey, maple syrup, or molasses.
- Use Healthy Barbecue Sauce as a homemade alternative to store-bought barbecue sauce.