Crockpot Cheesy Salsa Chicken
This is a very simple recipe that the whole family will love. If you have a pressure cooker I am sure this could be done in that as well. I have one but haven’t tried it yet; I will the next time I make this. You can make your own salsa, however, for simplicity I use jar salsa. There are very good, clean versions out there, you just have to read the labels. There are so many variations too like hot or mild, pineapple or mango; get creative with the flavors.
This recipe goes great over mexican rice (recipe here >>https://www.micheletaylorfitness.com/recipes/mexican-rice ) or you could even make tacos.
- 1.5 lbs uncooked chicken breast, diced. You can put in whole then shred it up after it's cooked.
- 16 oz jar of your favorite salsa (look for no added sugars in the ingredient list or other fillers
- 1 1/2 cups mexican cheese blend or your choice of cheese (I used sharp cheddar)
- salt to taste (a sprinkle will do)
- fresh cilantro for garnish - optional
Pour the salsa in the bottom of 3-4 quart slow cooker )if yours is bigger it will still work). Place chicken breast on top and sprinkle with a bit of salt. Cook for 3-5 hours on high or for 4-6 hours on low. I cooked for 3 hours for the initial time.
30 minutes before serving, open slow cooker and sprinkle cheese over the chicken.
Replace cover and cook for an additional 30 minutes on high until the cheese is melted. Keeping the lid on will keep the cheese from drying out or overcooking.
Serve over mexican rice and sprinkle with fresh cilantro